This article ONLY applies to the Wowza Streaming Engine + Wowza CDN with Fastly pull-based workflow, meaning the Fastly Target will pull from Wowza Engine. Fastly can pull ABR streams using the transcoder namegroups or via SMIL file.
Step 1: Set up Wowza Streaming Engine with a Live HTTP Origin Application
Create a new "Live HTTP Origin" application
Step 2: Configure ABR renditions
- Enable transcoder
- Set up transcode template renditions or use the default Transcode template
For more information about the Transcoder please review this article:
Set up and run Transcoder in Wowza Streaming Engine
Configure a Namegroup
You can configure the transcoder template namegroups to include the desired renditions for the ABR ladder
[app-name] > transcoder > templates > [template-name] > namegroups tab
Configure a SMIL File
Create a SMIL file with the desired source renditions
Server > SMIL Files > Add SMIL file
For more information on name groups or SMIL files please review this article:
Stream adaptive bitrate content with Wowza Streaming Engine
Step 3: Configure the Fastly Target
- Log into Wowza Video
- Go to Advanced in the top menu bar
- Click Stream Targets
- Click Add new target
- Select the Fastly target
- Give the Target a name
- Select "Enable Custom Origin"
- Select a Region (default is "US")
- Define the Wowza Streaming Engine host IP or domain as the Custom Origin URL
You must include the protocol "http://" or "https://". No port details required.
HTTP Example: http://126.96.36.199
HTTPS Example: https://1234567890.streamlock.net
- Save the target
Please confirm successful ABR playback before you enable Fastly security features.
Step 4: Connect the source to WSE
Configure your encoder or live source to send a stream to Wowza Streaming Engine
For more information on how to connect a live source to Wowza Streaming Engine, please review this article: Connect a live source to Wowza Streaming Engine.
Step 5: Test Local Playback
Test the local playback to confirm the ABR stream is working on Wowza Streaming Engine
Step 6: Build the Fastly Playback URL
- Log into Wowza Video
- Go to the Stream Target page for your Fastly target
- Go to Playback URLs
- Expand the HLS section
- Copy the URL format
Fastly URL format
Step 7: Test the playback URL
- You can use a test HLS player with ABR support, like TheoPlayer's HLS test player
- Check the ABR renditions by finding the Player toolbar, and selecting the settings icon
- Check the available renditions match your name group or SMIL file.